The course on Piping Material-Metallurgy: Mechanical Properties & Testing has been developed to explain the fundamentals of Piping Metallurgy & Testing in detail. The content is organized in a systematic manner so that the first timers can also understand. Course content is based on practical problems and solutions, which is created by experienced professionals with decades of experience in the relevant field. Please Note: The course is Published on EPCLand platform which is learning management system (LMS) and designed for online courses.
The purpose of this article is to give answers to the basic questions about the course which commonly comes into the mind before enrolling to the published courses. So Let’s begin with details and look at various sections of the article.
What are you going to learn in this Piping Course
Basic of Crystal Lattice
- What are Crystal Lattice
- Various Types of Crystals
- Calculations for:
- Number of Atoms/Unit Cell
- Relation b/w Atom radius & Crystal Lattice structureVolume Occupied
- Atomic Packing Factor
- Volume occupied by the Atoms in Unit cells
- Types of Voids in FCC & BCC
- Number of Voids
- Calculations for :
- Octahedral Voids
- Tetrahedral Voids
Comparison of Voids
- Void Sizes in BCC & FCC
- Relationships w.r.t. IRON
Solubility of Carbon
- Understanding voids in Iron
- Austenite & Ferrite Steels
- Comparison w.r.t. Lattice Structures
- Energy Required to displace the iron atoms
- Basics behind the solubility of Carbon atoms
- Impact on Lattice Structures with Carbon
Hardness of Steels
- Behavior of carbon
- Steels w.r.t. Carbon %
- What is Carbon Equivalent
- Calculate Carbon Equivalent
- What is Weldability
- Hardness & Weldability
- Chromium & Nickel Equivalents
- Calculating Cr & Ni Equivalent
- Relationship of various equivalents w.r.t. Weldability
- Slip Bands & Slip Planes
- Slips in FCC & BCC Crystals
- Grain Boundaries & Dislocations
- Cold Working & Grain Boundaries
Pipe Inspection, Testing & Marking:
Pipe Inspection is a continuous process during manufacturing, it has vast importance in process & piping industry. This course has been designed to understand the basic fundamentals about various (15+) testing methods commonly used in the industry. Along with basic fundamentals, various codes & standards (ASME, ASTM, API etc) shall also be listed out and discussed in details.
This is divided into four major sections :
- Metallurgical testing
- Destructive Testing
- Non-Destructive testing
- Visual & Marking Inspections
Under Metallurgical testing (Aggressive Environment) following tests have been covered
1.Grain size (AS & SS)
2.IGC- Intergranular Corrosion Test(SS)
4.HIC- Hydrogen-induced Cracking
5.SSC- Sulfide Stress Corrosion Cracking
Under Destructive testing following tests have been covered
Under Non-Destructive testing following tests have been covered
•Magnetic Penetrant testing
•Liquid Penetration testing
•Acoustic emission testing
Under Visual & Marking inspection following tests have been covered
Students or professional will be able to learn the basics & fundamentals of inspection and testing requirements in the piping industry. The fundamentals covered in this course are not only useful for the the professionals working at site but also for the entry level team members who want to build the fundamentals and refresh the basics. once enrolled there will be lifetime access to the course material.
What is the duration of course
Total duration of the course is 3.5 hours. However, it is recommended to watch the lecture at least thrice, so that the fundamentals covered can be easily grabbed.
Recommendations to proceed further
- It is highly recommended that watching all the lecture continuously in a single sitting should be avoided.
- Prepare a schedule of 1-2 hours on daily basis.
- Write down the learning in short or in the form of your own notes
- List out the queries or doubts and share at Forums of Engineers Land.
- Join Telegram group and register to keep yourself updated with the latest published content on EPCLand and Engineers Land.
Top Benefits of Piping Engineering course
- Lifetime access once enrolled
- Same lecture can be watched as many times as you want
- Flexibility of time and location
- Readymade notes which can be referred before interviews and working on live projects
- Become part of professional communities on Telegram & Engineers Land.
Prerequisites of this course
- Willingness to learn
- Complete clarity on where you see yourself after 3-5 years
- Awareness of Energy sector (Click here to read about Scope of Piping Engineers)
How to be an expert in piping engineering
Recommended courses (Published on EPCLand):
Don’t miss 7 Free courses available for Enrolment
Along with the above mentioned recommend courses, there are 7 free course which available on EPCLand platform. These courses are just published so that the candidates can get use to the interface of EPCLand and get a feel how the lectures are available and organised on this platform. Following are the links to the free courses:
Recommended YouTube Playlists
- 2 minutes FundasSeries: Explains hundreds of Piping Engineering fundamentals in less than 2 minutes
- Piping questions and answers: It talks about various Questions & Answers to understand the engineering fundamentals
- Piping Engineering Interview preparation: This Section talks about the various questions which are generally aske during interviews
- Subscribe YouTube Channel: Highly recommended to subscribe the Oil and Gas Fundas YouTube channel for various updates
To conclude, this article talks about the course details on Piping Materials & Metallurgy explaining what is covered and how to approach after Enrollment. Moreover, it explains how to be part of various professional communities related to piping engineering where candidates can join various ongoing discussions and share the queries.